Cleaning out the closets in your apartment might seem like a daunting task. When the thought first pops into your head, your mind may likely start racing with questions about what to get rid of and where your unwanted items should go. Instead of feeling defeated and overwhelmed before you even begin, follow these simple tips and you’ll be well on your way to clean, organized closets faster than you ever imagined.
- Clear everything out of your closet – Yes, everything. You may find that it helps to completely clear out your closet so you can start fresh when putting things away. You may also want to take advantage of the empty space and wash the floors or give your dusty storage bins a good wipe down.
- Question yourself – When deciding whether or not to keep something, there are many questions you can ask yourself. For example, for every item of clothing, you might ask, does this fit? Have I worn this in the last year? Does this still represent my style? These questions can quickly help you decide whether you truly still want that item.
- Make piles – Sort your clothes and other items into piles. You can have a pile for things you love, things you are undecided about, things that you don’t want to keep, and things to go in the trash. After you decide which items no longer have a place in your closet, sort those too. You may want to donate some or give other pieces to a friend. Regardless of where they end up, separating your belongings into piles will help make cleaning out your closet seem like a more manageable task.
- Have enough hangers – Once you start putting away the clothes you’re going to keep, you’ll be surprised at how many items were crumpled up on the floor that now need to be hung. Many also suggest splurging for matching hangers to give your closet a neat, uniform look.
- Try to avoid nostalgia – It can be fun to reminisce about the good times you’ve had in your old clothes, but getting too sentimental can make it hard to get rid of anything. Try to steer clear of memory lane and only save items with real sentimental value.
When you’re done following these tips, you’ll be amazed at just how much extra space you have in the closets in your Alachua, FL apartment, which – at One 51 Place – were already an incredible size to begin with, thanks to our spacious floorplans. To learn about the other benefits of renting an apartment in our community, contact us today. You can call or stop by our leasing office to take a tour.