Crockpots, sometimes called slow cookers, can open a whole new world of culinary excellence for those who don’t have the time to cook a full meal every night. Convenient and affordable, the crockpot is a must-have in any kitchen. If you’re unsure of how to use this little piece of magic to create meals you’ve only dreamed of, don’t worry! By following these simple tips, you’ll be well on your way to mastering the art of the crockpot.
• Choose the right meat – Leaner cuts and white meat tend to dry out when cooked in a crockpot while tough or fatty meats become mouth-wateringly tender.
• Don’t use frozen ingredients – As a general rule, the food in your crockpot needs to reach 140 degrees F as quickly as possible to avoid the growth of harmful bacteria. For this reason, all food should be defrosted before being placed in your crockpot.
• Fill your crockpot – Your crockpot should be about one-half to two-thirds full to get the best results. Crockpots that have too much or too little in them won’t cook properly.
• Layering is important – Vegetables like potatoes and carrots take longer to cook than meat and should be placed in the crockpot first.
• Heat level – Typically speaking, a meal cooking on low should cook for twice as long as a meal on high. For best results, follow the cooking directions specified with your recipe, as some meats are better suited to cook at a lower temperature for longer.
By following these tips, you will have a delicious meal to enjoy in your Alachua, FL apartment in a matter of hours. At One 51 Place, our apartments have beautiful kitchen and dining areas where you can enjoy preparing and eating your crockpot meals every night of the week. Contact us today or stop by our leasing office for more information.