Chess is perhaps the oldest and most revered strategy game in the world, with its roots tracing back to the sixth century. It has remained a popular game despite (or perhaps because of) its simple premise, two players with 16 pieces vying for strategic dominance over a grid of 64 squares. Despite this apparent simplicity, chess is one of the most complex games in the world, with countless strategies, countermoves, and styles of play designed to help players trap their opponent’s king and win the game.
The basic pieces of the game are almost as well known as the game itself, with each player receiving eight pawns; two knights, bishops, and rooks; one king, and one queen. Each piece has its own rules for movement, and understanding how they best work together is one of the first keys to achieving victory.
While no one should expect to be great at chess from the get-go, here are a few tips that beginners can use to get a good head start:
• Use knights and pawns to control the center of board early.
• Use your queen! It’s your most versatile piece, and unlike the king, a game can be won without the queen.
• Try to look ahead 2-3 moves into the future. At the highest level, chess is a game about limiting your opponent’s moves so that you know what they’re about to do, even to the point of planning an entire game from the start to ensure victory.
• Play against yourself to help find weaknesses in your play style.
• Learn about special moves like castling and en passant so that you won’t be taken by surprise.
Learning to play chess is not easy, but it’s an incredibly rewarding and intellectually challenging pastime that you can do anywhere, even at your Alachua apartment. One 51 Place Apartment Homes is a beautiful community perfect for focusing on a game of chess with a friend.
To learn more about our luxury apartments, please contact our leasing office today.