These days, your email, bank account, social media profiles, and a range of other important services and accounts are protected by passwords of your own choosing. While this may seem like an ideal way to protect what is yours, many people don’t realize that simple passwords provide an easy way for outsiders to access, use, or take someone else’s personal information.
Here are a few guidelines that you can use to create a strong password:
• Ensure that your password is at least eight characters long. Include upper and lowercase letters, punctuation, symbols, and numerals. The more variety and the more random the symbols are, the better.
• Avoid any passwords that have number or letters in sequence, such as “dogs123” or “abcdpassword,” as these can be easily decrypted by hackers.
• While it’s a good idea to create a password that you can easily remember and is identifiable to you, avoid creating passwords that use family names, birthdays, addresses, passport numbers, license numbers, or anything else that can be researched and discovered by others.
• Don’t use the same password on more than one website. That way, if someone gains access to the password you use on one website, they won’t have access to your accounts on other websites.
• It is especially important to create a long, complex, and unique password for your primary email account. If your email account is hacked, every account that you’ve opened through that email can be reset, which means that someone possibly could gain access to your bank accounts and troves of personal information just by getting into your email.
• Even if you have solid passwords that were created using these guidelines, change them every three to six months for added peace of mind.
When the time comes to create a new password for an important account or profile, use these tips to help ensure that your private information stays private. What’s more, if you have existing accounts with passwords that do not meet these criteria, it may be in your best interest to log in to those accounts and change your password as soon as you are able.
At One 51 Place, we pride ourselves on providing our residents with comfortable and luxurious surroundings. If you are not yet a resident of our community and are looking for an apartment in Alachua, contact our leasing office today. We would love to tell you all about our many apartment features and world-class community amenities, including a pool, fitness center, and clubhouse.