Your One 51 Place staff would like to encourage you to consider water safety when it comes to your home. For example, each year, thousands of injuries occur because of hot water use in the home. Considering this risk of injury, we recommend that residents use special care with their hot water use.
From the bathroom to the kitchen, think twice when using hot water, especially when you are around children:
- Test any water before getting in the bathtub.
- Watch children closely at all times when they are taking a bath or shower.
- When cooking, keep children away from the stove range.
- Turn pot handles away from the edge of the stove in your Alachua apartment.
- Never carry a child with a hot drink in your hand.
- Treat a minor burn injury immediately with cold running water for 3 to 5 minutes.
- For minor burns, do not apply ice, lotion, or butter.
- Don’t hesitate to see your doctor about a burn injury. It’s better to get medical treatment now than to wish you had later.
Since hot water can burn and be just as painful as a burn by fire, we urge all of our residents to be extremely careful while handling any hot water in your apartment. If you need assistance with setting the temperature on your hot water tank, contact the office and we’ll be happy to assist you.