Unlike other dinner parties, potlucks are especially convenient for the host because everyone chips in with the cooking. Rather than spending hours before the event cooking, the host can relax and wait for guests to arrive. However, there are still are few things that should be taken into consideration when planning a potluck to ensure that it will be executed seamlessly. Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way to hosting a fun and relaxing potluck that will be enjoyed by all.
- Create a theme – Because there are so many dishes that are potluck appropriate, establishing a theme can help guests decide what to make. It also helps to make sure that the different dishes complement each other.
- Decide who is bringing what – To make sure that you don’t have 7 different kinds of macaroni & cheese, create a sign-up sheet for your guests to ensure that there is a variety of foods. The list should be comprised of appetizers, salads, sides, desserts, and drinks to ensure that every course is covered.
- Establish portion guidelines – Make sure all guests know how many people will be in attendance, so that there will be enough of each dish for everyone to try.
- The host should make the main dish – Whether it’s an illness, scheduling conflict, or some other obligation, last minute emergencies happen, and may prevent some guests from making it to the potluck. To guarantee that there will be no shortage of food, the host should consider providing the main dish so that it’s guaranteed to show up.
- Consider dietary restrictions – If your guests have dietary restrictions like lactose or gluten intolerance, or follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, be sure to take their needs into consideration when cooking. They will surely appreciate having food they can eat!
Following these tips will help to ensure that your potluck runs smoothly. Our apartments’ spacious floorplans should have enough room for all your guests, and when it finally comes time for the event, be sure to remain aware of the noise level, as to be courteous to the other residents of our Alachua, FL apartments. Last but not least, have fun and enjoy the company of those around you.
To learn about the benefits of renting an apartment in our community, contact us today.