Meditation is often defined as the practice of ridding the mind of all thought in order to achieve a heightened state of awareness. Experts say meditation has many immediate and long-term benefits, including relieving anxiety and improving empathy, memory, and sense of self.
If you are interested in trying meditation but aren’t sure where to start, here are some tips that may be helpful:
- Find a spot to use only for meditation. This place should be free of distractions. You may also want to prepare the area by adding dim lighting, incense, or flowers.
- Prepare yourself physically. Many prefer to meditate barefoot in comfortable, loose fitting clothing.
- Set aside a time every day to practice meditation. Experts suggest meditating first thing in the morning, so that its effects can benefit you all day.
- If you are just learning to meditate, consider using a meditation app to guide you and teach you different techniques so that you can learn what works best for you. Popular apps for meditation include Sattva, Headspace, The Mindful App, Buddhify, and Calm.
- Start slow, meditating for five minutes a day and increasing your time as you get more comfortable. Do your best to not be concerned with seeing results or whether or not you’re doing it right – simply focus on the technique you are using.
Our One 51 Place apartments for rent in Alachua, FL, offer many places to practice meditation – whether in the spacious apartments themselves, near our community pool, or in our fitness center. If you are not yet a resident of our community but are interested in learning more, contact us today. You can also come by our leasing office and our friendly staff will be glad to show you around our property.