With so much of our lives on the internet these days, it’s no surprise that online fraud has become an issue for many people. However, you don’t need to let fear take over. Instead, there are a number of good habits you can practice to help protect your information and your identity online. Knowledge and awareness are your best defenses against schemers and hackers, so educating yourself on good online habits is crucial in the digital age we live in.
Here are some good habits to practice online to help keep your information protected:
- Never send confidential information, such as personal or financial information, in an email.
- Do not give out your usernames, passwords, or PIN numbers to anyone.
- Use different passwords for different accounts and always use a random combination of letters and numbers to keep them from being easily guessable.
- When shopping online, be sure to check that a site is reputable. The URL (website address) should start with “https” rather than “http,” and you should see a small padlock icon in the web address bar.
- Use anti-virus software on your computer to catch viruses and prevent your computer from being hacked.
While there is no hard and fast way to ensure you will never be a victim of fraud on the internet, practicing the habits listed above can help to lower your chances of falling victim to hackers. And, if you ever do notice anything suspicious, such as charges you didn’t authorize, be sure to report it right away.
One 51 Place encourages all residents of our Alachua, FL, apartments to follow these and other tips for protecting your information online. Taking a few extra precautions can help to save you a lot of headache in the future.
If you are not a resident of One 51 Place and would like more information about our apartments and community amenities, contact our leasing office today.