No matter how careful you try to be, it seems inevitable that eventually, you will get a stain on your clothes. Whether it’s a grass stain on your jeans, coffee on your favorite t-shirt, or pasta sauce on that nice new dress, stains can be a frustrating experience for anyone. But don’t throw your stained clothes in the trash just yet. Instead, try these easy tips for stain removal that just may save you another trip to your favorite clothing store.
- Treat stains as quickly as possible. Usually, the longer the stain sits, the tougher it is to remove.
- Instead of rubbing, which could set the stain in your clothes even more, blot gently.
- Check to see that the stain has been lifted before you put your clothes in the dryer. Heat may set stains permanently.
The best way to treat stains depends on the type of stain it is:
- Grass stains – Soak the stained clothing in a cold water/detergent solution for 30 minutes, or longer if the stain is not fresh. After the stain has been removed, launder the clothing as usual.
- Blood stains – Dab 3 percent hydrogen peroxide on the stain and use your fingernail to scrape away the blood. Repeat until the stain has been lifted and then launder as usual. For best results, treat blood stains as soon as possible.
- Coffee stains – Rinse the stain with cold water as quickly as possible. When you are back in your apartment, set it to soak in a cold water/laundry detergent solution for 30 minutes, and then wash in the hottest setting allowed for the fabric. Ensure that the stain has been removed before you dry your clothes.
- Tomato-based sauce stains – Mix cold water with 1 tbsp. of vinegar and ½ tsp. of liquid dishwashing detergent. If the stain is still there after 30 minutes, spray the area with a pre-wash stain remover and then wash in warm water.
Following these steps can help you keep your clothes looking their best. A great place to remove stains from your clothes is in one of our in our apartments for rent in Alachua, FL, as each apartment is equipped with full-sized washer-dryer connections. Our community also has a laundry center, which is only one of the great amenities we offer for residents of our community. To learn more about One 51 Place, call us or stop by our leasing office to take a tour today.