Many of us have coats, pants, and shirts with a button missing. Sewing a new button on a garment is fairly easy, and it doesn’t require any necessary stitching equipment, aside from thread, a button, a pin, and a needle.
Here is a step-by-step guide to sewing a button on an item of clothing:
• First, thread the needle by pulling the thread through the needle’s eye so that there is equal length of thread on both sides. Then, tie a knot to secure it.
• Second, position the button on the fabric.
• Third, push the needle through the fabric and through one hole of the button, pulling the thread all the way through.
• Fourth, push the needle down through the next hole on the button, and through the fabric, pulling the thread all the way through.
• Fifth, repeat pulling the needle and thread through the fabric and button holes, until the button is securely in place.
• Sixth, once the button is secured, push the needle through the fabric once more but do not pull it through a hole in the button. Wrap the thread around itself between the button and the material to reinforce it.
• Finally, push the needle back down through the material and make four stitches in the material, right below the button, to secure the thread. Then, tie this thread off and cut off the excess.
And just like that, you have sewn a button on your garment! Hopefully, the tips above will be an easy-to-use reference for the next time you want to sew a button on your clothes.
To learn more about our Alachua, Florida, apartments, and the wonderful amenities our residents enjoy, contact One 51 Place today or stop by our leasing office to take a tour.