Writing thank you notes may seem like an old-fashioned concept to some. Nowadays, most people send their gratitude over text message or through an email. But there is something special about taking the time to send a personal thank you note to express your appreciation for the kindness a person has shown to you.
Here are the steps to writing a proper thank you note:
• Start by addressing the giver. Use the word “Dear” and then address them the way you would if you saw them in person.
• Begin the letter by thanking them. Whether you’re thanking them for being a good friend when you were sad or for giving you a gift for your birthday, be concise and clear in your gratitude.
• Next, add specific details. If they gave you a gift, discuss how you will use it. If they helped you put together your new kitchen table, talk about the meals you’ve eaten on it already, or how it looks in your apartment. If it’s time or energy they gave to you, express to them how much their friendship means to you.
• Lastly, let them know you are thinking of them. For some, you can be as specific as the next time you will see them, e.g. “I can’t wait to see you at Dad’s birthday party in June.” With others, it’s appropriate to simply acknowledge that they are in your thoughts and you wish them well.
• Restate your thanks and end with your warmest regards.
While writing thank you notes may seem awkward and unnatural at first, before long, you will be a natural at writing them. It takes your gratitude and appreciation one step further, by giving the recipient a physical memento of your thankfulness.
If you are not yet a resident at our Alachua, Florida, apartments, contact us today or stop by our leasing office.