Clean, fresh water is a limited resource, and it is important to use it as such. While it may be tempting to stay in the shower for long periods of time or to leave your faucet running while you’re brushing your teeth, this ultimately wastes a precious resource that is needed to sustain life, and can also drive up your energy costs as well.
If you are just beginning to learn about the importance of water conservation and are looking for ways to cut down on your daily water usage, here are a few tips to help get you started:
- If you have plants out on your balcony, water them in the evening or before the sun comes up in the morning to prevent evaporation.
- While handwashing dishes, place dirty items into a dishpan to soak rather than running water over dirty dishes the entire time you wash them.
- Do not let the water run while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Rinse fruits and vegetables in a bowl of water rather than under the faucet.
- Reuse water used to boil pasta or vegetables to water your plants.
- Hold off on running your dishwasher until it is completely full.
- Be sure to turn your faucets completely off after each use and in the event of a leak, report it to the leasing office immediately.
While it may seem like these efforts would only save drops of water each day, over time, the amount truly does add up. Additionally, remember that conserving water is a group effort. If each resident took it upon themselves to follow these water-saving tips, we could collectively save a tremendous amount of water each year.
If you are not currently a resident of One 51 Place but are interested in receiving more information about renting one of our apartments in Alachua, FL, contact our leasing office today. We also invite you to stop by at your convenience for a tour of our property.