Did you know that Alachua is an Indian word meaning “sink”? Were you aware that the nearby town of Newmansville played an important role in the Second Seminole War? If you’re curious about the answers to these questions, you should explore all of the fascinating history surrounding Alachua, Florida. The Chamber of Commerce, the local court house, and the Alachua public library are just a few of the places you can start your journey into local history.
While at home in your Alachua, Florida apartments, start your historical research by using the Internet to find out more about the following important moments in Alachua’s past:
- 1824 – Alachua County created.
- 1884 – Town becomes an official shipping point along the Savannah, Florida & Western Railroad.
- 1887 – First post office established in Alachua.
- 1905 – Alachua becomes officially incorporated.
While you’re conducting your Alachua research, you could even delve into nearby Gaineville’s rich past, which includes the following events:
- 1853 – University of Florida established.
- 1869 – The City of Gainesville, named after Seminole Indian War General Edmund P. Gaines, is incorporated.
There is so much rich history in Alachua and the surrounding areas. Even today it’s a wonderful, fascinating place to live. Call the One 51 Place leasing office today for more information about the area or for a tour of our beautiful apartment community.