Maintaining good posture is said to have many physical and emotional health benefits. Not only does it help to prevent common neck and back problems, headaches, and fatigue, but it can also improve breathing capabilities and allow muscles to work at optimum capacity. This can increase energy levels and allow people to function at a much more productive pace.
Here are some things to avoid, in order to maintain proper posture:
• Slumping over while sitting. For proper posture, a person’s thighs and torso should form a 90-degree angle, with their feet flat on the floor, to promote proper body alignment, which puts less stress on the spine.
• Bending forward from the waist. It’s important to remember to bend at the knees, as this can help to prevent common back problems.
• Twisting the spine, to the point of strain.
• Overreaching for objects, because this causes the body to fall out of alignment and can be dangerous for those who have trouble with balance.
• Resting a phone between the shoulder and ear, as it compresses the blood vessels in the shoulders and elbows, leading to arm tingling, headaches, and pain.
Maintaining proper posture on a daily basis is something that will take time and effort. It’s important to start small and not take on too much at one time.
To read about more good healthy habits, check out the full list of community articles on this website. Our apartments in Alachua, Florida, are spacious and equipped with updated appliances, deep pile carpeting, and nine-foot ceilings with crown molding. Call or stop by our leasing office today to take a tour of our community.